Imagine for a moment a new way of learning.
A way rooted in place, surrounded by masters, supported by a community, and in the midst of idyllic beauty. That’s how we do “learning” in Port Townsend.
Our area is home to some of the most dynamic and innovative experiential learning programs in the country. Want to learn how to build wooden boats? No problem. Want to spend a week jamming with blues guitar legends? Check. Feel like building a gypsy wagon? Done.
And on and on…
Port Townsend attracts curious people of all ages who want to learn new skills. New ideas. New trades. Here are some places to start exploring:
- Centrum – Weeklong workshops for all ages at Fort Worden State Park in the visual, literary, and performing arts.
- Port Townsend School of Woodworking – National destination for beginning and advanced woodworkers – also at Fort Worden State Park.
- Peninsula College – A Washington State Community College located at Fort Worden State Park offering college level courses, student services, public lectures and events, basic education for adults and a variety of non-credit community and business education classes.
- Goddard College – Innovative college located at Fort Worden State Park offering low residency MFA in Creative Writing and MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts.
- Port Townsend Marine Science Center – Workshops in marine ecosystems and biology at Fort Worden State Park.
- Port Townsend School of the Arts – Enjoy a day, evening or weekend art class in beautiful Fort Worden State Park. Led by local and very talented artists in a variety of mediums and styles.
- Northwest Maritime Center – Workshops and events in a broad range of maritime skills and trades; located in downtown Port Townsend.
- Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding – Center for the art and history of wooden boatbuilding.
- Jefferson Museum of Art and History – Located in the historic City Hall, the museum preserves and promotes Jefferson County heritage. Guided walking tours through historic downtown are offered with costumed guides. A staffed research facility is available to help people learn first-hand about the county’s history.
Plan Your Future Trip
Map is a fun and interactive way to plan your future dream vacation in Jefferson County. The map links to local businesses and activities in the area, features an easy to use itinerary planner which is sharable on social media, it has a calendar of local events when safe & healthy events can once again be scheduled, and showcases popular trail maps. iMap is a trip planner right at your fingertips. Plan your trip and start exploring what Jefferson County has to offer!