Hastings Building c.1889

Hastings Building c.1889

The Port Townsend Main Street Program is coordinating the “Insider’s Historic Building Tours”—with Downtown and Uptown Tours on Sunday, March 23, 2014 during the Victorian Festival. The tours reveal intriguing stories from the past and visions for the future. Knowledgeable guides will lead the tours. Tickets are on sale now for $10 each from the Port Townsend Victorian Festival’s website at www.vicfest.org.


The Fowler Building (aka The Leader Building) 226 Adams Street

  • Capt. Enoch S. Fowler, a skipper and early Port Townsend entrepreneur, built this two-story building from sandstone quarried from Marrowstone Island in 1874.
  • The Leader is celebrating its125 anniversary this year.
  • Tour Leader: Scott Wilson, Publisher of the Port Townsend & Jefferson County Leader

The Mount Baker Block Building 1890  211 Taylor Street

  • Get a first-hand look at Port Townsend’s “shanghai tunnels” in an 1890 building erected by Port Townsend’s first mayor.
  • Tour Leader: Mari Mullen, Executive Director of the Port Townsend Main Street Program.

The Eisenbeis Building, 1889–2013 830 Water Street.

  • Built in 1889 by Port Townsend’s first mayor, Charles Eisenbeis, this historic building, constructed with Port Townsend bricks, has been completely renovated into a mixed-use building.
  • Tour Leader: Michelle Sandoval, Windermere Real Estate

The Hastings Building 1889 833-839 Water Street

  • Climb the stairs to the past at the landmark Hastings Building and get a rare look at a grand historic building frozen in time, but poised for an exciting transformation.
  • Tour Leader: Heather Dudley Nollette, Project Manager for the Hastings Building (and descendent of Lucinda & Loren B. Hastings, the original building owners).
  • Please note: These historic buildings are accessed by steep stairways.  The Eisenbeis Building and the Mount Baker Block are ADA Accessible on the upper floors via elevator.


Meet Us At The Bell Tower—At The Top Of Haller Stairs at Tyler/Jefferson Streets

The Bell Tower 1890– near the top of the Haller Fountain Stairs (Tyler/Jefferson)

  • Hear about the history of Uptown and how it evolved and will be able to go inside the Bell Tower’s main floor.
  • Tour Leader: Bill Tennent, Director, The Jefferson County Historical Society

The Gallus Rutz Building Built 1889 1044 Lawrence Street

  • Built in 1889 by Dr. Gallus Rutz.
  • The tour includes a sneak peak at “Grandma Lily’s Apartment” upstairs, decorated with nostalgic flair.
  • Tour Leader: Building Owner Helen Gunn

The Barthrop House (aka The Quimper Inn Bed & Breakfast)

  • 1306 Franklin
  • It was built by Captain Henry Morgan in 1888 and is now the home of The Quimper Inn.
  • Tour Leaders: Owners Sue and Ron Ramage
  • Please note: Access to the upper floors of these historic buildings include stairs.

Events subject to change.