Events & Festivals
It seems like there is always something happening in Port Townsend.
This constant hum of activity is a reflection of the creative, energetic spirit of residents around these parts, and it means that there is plenty of fun activities to plan your trip around.
Just as the locals do, we encourage you to visit the event calendar at PTGuide.com for the latest and greatest information on events in the area. However, here is a snapshot of some of the more popular events and festivals held in Port Townsend each year.
- Strange Brewfest: More than 30 craft breweries from around the Pacific NW gather to showcase their more inventive offerings.
- Port Townsend Playwright’s Festival: Professional production of new works by local and regional playwrights.
- Fort Worden Kitemaker’s Conference: A wonderful gathering of kite makers from all around the world.
- Victorian Heritage Days: A celebration of all-things Victorian.
- PT PlayFest – Port Townsend Festival of New Plays: A theater-lover’s feast, connecting artists and audiences. A unique glimpse behind the scenes of how contemporary plays are created.
- Port Townsend Farmers Market: Farmers gather for the best Farmers Market in Washington state.
- Rhododendron Festival: A grand celebration of the state flower. This community-wide festival includes the famous Pet Parade, Kiddies Parade, Bed Races, carnival rides, and of course the Rhody Festival Grand Parade.
- Rat Island Regatta: Rowers, kayakers, and open water paddlers make the run from Port Townsend to Rat Island and back.
- Taste of Port Townsend: Come celebrate (and sample!) Port Townsend’s renowned farm-to-table cuisine.
- Voice Works: Vibrant and ecelctic gathering of singers presented by Centrum - the nonprofit arts organization at Fort Worden.
- Festival of American Fiddle Tunes: Nationally-renowned celebration of traditional music presented by Centrum – the nonprofit arts organization at Fort Worden.
- Port Townsend Writers’ Conference: Annual Centrum gathering that’s at the heart of the thriving Pacific Northwest literary scene.
- Jazz Port Townsend: Centrum’s celebration of straight-ahead jazz. The longest-running summer jazz festival in Washington.
- Concerts on the Docks:
- Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival: Centrum gathering that showcases classic, acoustic blues styles.
- Jefferson County Fair: The community gathers for music, Barrel Racing, Herding dogs, Kid’s Demolition, 4 x 4 Mud Races, and a full range of home, agricultural, and environmental programs.
- Uptown Street Fair: Celebrating the Uptown district, enjoy outdoor music, children’s activities, beer garden, the Port Townsend Arts Guild Arts & Crafts Fair, and the Jefferson County Farmer’s Market.
- Art Port Townsend: Visual arts take center stage, with exhibits, galleries, and artist studio tours.
- Shakespeare in the Park: A summertime family tradition—live theater outdoors in Chetzemoka Park by the sea. Bring a blanket, a picnic, and enjoy a comedy or tragedy by the Bard.
- Wooden Boat Festival: The first and largest Wooden Boat Festival in North America, and now a year-round destination and resource for wooden boat enthusiasts worldwide.
- Port Townsend Film Festival: Popular festival connecting great films, filmmakers and community.
- Kinetic Sculpture Race: Not to be missed – an eccentric, eclectic pageantry of human powered machinery.
- Downtown Trick or Treat on Halloween
- Victorian Holidays: Come to Port Townsend for the Holidays! The street lamps and store windows will be decorated in the spirit of the season, festive events fill the calendar and Santa starts his world tour in Port Townsend