Events & Festivals
It seems like there is always something happening in Port Townsend.
This constant hum of activity is a reflection of the creative, energetic spirit of residents around these parts, and it means that there is plenty of fun activities to plan your trip around.
Just as the locals do, we encourage you to visit the event calendar at PTGuide.com for the latest and greatest information on events in the area. However, here is a snapshot of some of the more popular events and festivals held in Port Townsend each year.
- Winter Wanderlust: Listen and watch traveler’s tales Wednesday evenings in January and February.
- Port Townsend Playwright’s Festival: Professional production of new works by local and regional playwrights.
- Fort Worden Kitemaker’s Conference: A wonderful gathering of kite makers from all around the world.
- Victorian Heritage Days: A celebration of all-things Victorian.
- Port Townsend Farmers Market: Farmers gather for the best Farmers Market in Washington state.
- Rhododendron Festival: A grand celebration of the state flower. This community-wide festival includes the famous Pet Parade, Kiddies Parade, Bed Races, carnival rides, and of course the Rhody Festival Grand Parade.
- Rat Island Regatta: Rowers, kayakers, and open water paddlers make the run from Port Townsend to Rat Island and back.
- Festival of American Fiddle Tunes: Nationally-renowned celebration of traditional music presented by Centrum – the nonprofit arts organization at Fort Worden.
- Port Townsend Writers’ Conference: Annual Centrum gathering that’s at the heart of the thriving Pacific Northwest literary scene.
- Jazz Port Townsend: Centrum’s celebration of straight-ahead jazz. The longest-running summer jazz festival in Washington.
- Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival: Centrum gathering that showcases classic, acoustic blues styles.
- Jefferson County Fair: The community gathers for music, Barrel Racing, Herding dogs, Kid’s Demolition, 4 x 4 Mud Races, and a full range of home, agricultural, and environmental programs.
- Uptown Street Fair: Celebrating the Uptown district, enjoy outdoor music, children’s activities, beer garden, the Port Townsend Arts Guild Arts & Crafts Fair, and the Jefferson County Farmer’s Market.
- Art Port Townsend: Visual arts take center stage, with exhibits, galleries, and artist studio tours.
- Wooden Boat Festival: The first and largest Wooden Boat Festival in North America, and now a year-round destination and resource for wooden boat enthusiasts worldwide.
- Port Townsend Film Festival: Popular festival connecting great films, filmmakers and community.
- Kinetic Sculpture Race: Not to be missed – an eccentric, eclectic pageantry of human powered machinery.
- Holiday Celebrations: The lights go up, the town gets its “Victorian” on, and throws a two-month party.