Port Townsend invites you to celebrate what’s special about our community during the holidays! Port Townsend’s historic districts are known for their individually-owned businesses filled with delightful gift ideas which offer the personal touch. Inviting dining spots and unique lodgings offer something for every taste. There are many thoughtful and creative gifts available in Port Townsend that will be remembered long after the holidays.
Join us for delightful holiday fun in 2022:
The Kiwanis Choo Choo
A Port Townsend favorite, the holiday “choo choo: train will roll merrily through town, making several Saturday appearances–November 26, December 3 and December 10.
The Festival Tent at Tyler Plaza
Look for the large festival tent at Tyler Street Plaza downtown, which will offer a festive outdoor space for a limited time. Get a meal-to-go or a hot drink and enjoy it there in between shopping stops. Check ptmainstreet.org for additional information about other holiday activities or follow the Port Townsend Main Street Program on social media for holiday updates. Thanks to the City of Port Townsend and CARES Act funding for tent assistance at Tyler Plaza.
- November 26: Small Business Saturday –Get a jump on holiday shopping! Then join in a free swag-making activity from 2-4 pm with Main Street elves under the heated tent at Tyler Street Plaza. Check out the new overhead lighting extending the use of the plaza in the darker winter months. Enjoy caroling in the streets with the Wild Rose Chorale and take a selfie with the holiday cartoon cut-outs.
- December 3: Ring in the Holidays in Port Townsend
- 2 pm Caroling with the Wild Rose Chorale
- 2 pm- 4pm Make & Take Ornaments at Tyler Street Plaza tent…while supplies last! Donations benefit PT Artscape which supports the arts in the public schools program.
- 2:30 pm-4:30 pm Photo opportunities with Santa and the Kiwanis Choo Choo by Flagship Landing
- Take a selfie with the holiday cartoon cut-outs.
- Dusk: Treelighting at Haller Fountain
- December 10: “It’s a Wrap!” Last minute holiday gift wrapping. Kiwanis Key Club/Rotary Interact Club students will wrap your locally purchased gifts with flair. Tyler Plaza Tent (weather permitting).
28th Annual Uptown Gingerbread Contest
Entries will be accepted from December 1st – 11th, 2022. Judging will take place December 12th – 19th, 2022 by local artist Max Grover. Please drop off your Gingerbread House to the Port Townsend Public Library during library hours at 1220 Lawrence Street. Winners will be announced Dec. 22nd, 2022. Call the library at 360-385-3181 with questions. Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the Port Townsend Public Library, you can pick up FREE Gingerbread House Kits to get you started at the Port Townsend Library from November 21st – 30th, 2022 (while supplies last).
Holiday Pet Pawtraits with Santa
December 18th, 1-4 at the Chamber, renowned photographer Jeffrey Fong will along with Santa be on site taking holiday photos of your pet. Proceeds of this event benefit Kiwanis as well as the Community Development Fund providing small business grants in Jefferson County.
Please register your pet(s) to reserve your spot between 1 and 4 pm. This event is open to the public with no memberships of any kind required. Please register for the time frame you prefer. There are limited registrations for each hour to ensure you and your pet a fabulous Santa experience.
Steaming Up the Holidays
Whether you rock gears and goggles, bustle or bowler, this is the holiday opportunity to come out and kick it old school. Olympic Express Big Band brings sassy, brassy horns and rhythm for an absinthe-infused evening of dancing. The Brass Screw Consortium and Olympic Peninsula Steam invite you to join us at the American Legion Hall where the halls are decked, the hosts are jolly, and the fruit cake will keep you toasty all night long. Come as you are – Victorian, Steampunk, fancy dress, blue jeans. It’s the spirit, the season and the swing that matter!
December 17th, from 7:00 pm to 10:30 pm
American Legion Hall, 209 Monroe St, Port Townsend, WA 98368
Tour the Winter Lights
The Port Townsend Main Street Program is lighting up Port Townsend! Sparkling white lights decorate the trees in the historic districts. Look for illuminated snowflakes coming to Uptown. The PT Main Street Program winter lights program runs November-February thanks to the City of Port Townsend LTAC. Main Street elves will be busy decorating. The Haller Fountain and Bell Tower lighting designs are created by Fyerlite Grip and Lighting Services.
These 2022 Holiday Happenings are sponsored by the Port Townsend Main Street Program, participating businesses, the City of Port Townsend and Lodging Tax Advisory Committee (LTAC), New American Funding, and Richmond American Homes. Media sponsors include the Port Townsend and Jefferson County Leader and KPTZ 91.9 FM.